Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Day @ The Dentist (R-rated!)

Probably one of the most feared moments in my childhood was going to a dentist, I remember my mom taking me their for getting rid of a cavity, I used to cry alot while my mom sits with me to confront me regardless that I was toothless until I turned 8.

Anyway, recently I was being told by my personal dentist that I have Dental Caries (ouch!) for those of you who don't know what is Dental Caries, it is simply when the cavity eats all the surface of the tooth(and if possible a bit from the side) reaching down to the root bursting into the nerve which results in a small surgery to pull in the nerve ending, this though happened weirdly, I had a filling in that same spot and unexpectedly the bacteria punctures the filling down (can the bacteria do that), now I don't know how exactly but my molar was wide open from the top.

The known effect of caries are pain, tooth loss, foul breath and in rare and severe cases, death.

Three appointments was the dagger-to-the-heart reply from my dentist telling me the brief explanation of each appointment's procedure...First appointment, drilling the whole tooth down until the gum appears and removing all the cavity with a scalpel that has a bent hook at the end so called "Dental Explorer". Before all of this I requested that I get a shot of an anesthetic in my mouth which indeed I got and god it hurts when injected, you feel your chin lingers in static electricity, Then he takes a metal pin like thingy with no sharp pointed end and drills the gum down to take small chunks of cavity, as for the 3rd, I still haven't taken it yet and was placed a white temporary filling which is half broken and seems to have been made in China.

Being in the dentist today for another tooth was another case, it was badly drilled down in the middle with a small crack on the side, I feared that it would be another dental caries, the doc didn't say a word, instead he bulged into starting the operation the usual way with the idea of an amalgam to be put at the end, it took 30 minutes and with some new technology put on some white ceramic paste into the drilled hole which then he brought a laser like gun into my mouth, he pulled the trigger which I noticed my mouth starts illuminating in blue color, I then knew that amalgams are ancient history, and the purpose of this gun was to make the ceramic filling the same color as my tooth which therefore doesn't show that I have a filling, weird technologies!

Anyway, I went back home while still on anesthesia that I can't feel my right hand side of my face, every time I tried to pop up my jaw, the damn thing reaches down my neck and hurts my throat like **** (I don't know if it was an overdosage, but I like my dentist anyway), I am actually still under the effect while I am speaking here now since 7:00 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment